Wednesday, March 20, 2013

The Kayzee Adventure

And what an adventure she is!  I love her so much and I am so blessed to have her in my life.  She has had a rough two weeks (or should I say we all have) but the good news is...she is finally sleeping through the night!  After 2 1/2 years (yes, you read that right...YEARS) I am finally getting sleep because she is finally sleeping.  But it's weird because my body doesn't know what to do with all this extra sleep so I still feel so exhausted!

I first need to post a bunch of pictures of Kayzee.  I was finally making our blog into a book and I noticed that I posted pictures of Memphis growing up each month and I never did that for Kayzee so here it is now so I at least have it for the journal/book blurb thingy I am making.  And who doesn't want to see pictures of beautiful Kayzee Lynn...I know the grandma's will enjoy it:)

Birth
2 weeks
1 month
2 months
 3 months
 4 months
5 months
 6 months...so stinkin' cute:)
 7 months
 8 months
 9 months
10 months
 11 months
1 year
2 years

This may have happened a long time ago but I realized I never really gave an update on Kayzee these past few months.  When Kayzee turned 2 back in September she came up to me one day and said, "Mommy, I am talking now."  That was definitely a crazy day because the day before she literally only said maybe 4 words and then BAM she started talking in sentences with a million new words!  Right after she said she was talking now she then starting rambling and I will probably never forget what she said because it was so random but definitely so cute and I loved hearing that she had been learning all this time...this is what she said:

"Mommy that's a deer (pointing to a painting in our room), penguins waddle, and in the winter it's cold."

Seriously where did all that come from?  And she hasn't stopped talking since (except when she is shy around strangers).  She was also obsessed with size and families.  One night at dinner she put her broccoli in order by size and then pointed to each one (biggest to smallest) and said, "Daddy, Mommy, and baby broccoli."  SMART GIRL!

Kayzee is my healthy eater and it is definitely all her because she chooses to eat healthy.  If you offer her junk food or fast food or healthy food she always chooses the healthy food.  She always goes to the fridge and picks out apples, yogurt, carrots, lettuce, green peppers, broccoli, etc to eat for a snack.  And she will eat anything put in front of her.  She is not afraid to try new things.  So unlike her brother who is so picky and will only eat like 3 things.  

Kayzee is also obsessed with books.  I always hear about other little girls that have to take a million stuffed animals to bed with them...well with Kayzee it's books!  She always has a stack of books in bed with her.  Doesn't look comfortable to me but she loves them. 

She has also lost some weight.  She grew out of her summer clothes which were 3T so when winter came I got 4T.  But slowly she has grown taller and skinnier and really turned into a little girl and her bowel problems haven't really helped because sometimes she won't eat.  Now her clothes don't fit.  Which is annoying because I really don't want to buy 3T winter clothes.  Oh well, time to buy some belts.

Here are some more cute pictures of Kayzee these past few months...











 Kayzee drew a picture of a kitty all by herself!

 I love that she has long hair so I can play with it!


Now for the long awaited update on Kayzee's visit to the GI specialist.  I know you have all been wondering and sitting on the edge of your seats the past few weeks.  HA just kidding and...WARNING: Potty talk--->We headed up to Primary Children's Hospital in Salt Lake city.  I got a sub and took the day off of work and Kayzee and I had a fun mother daughter date of shopping, going out to lunch, and finally seeing the specialist.  HE WAS WONDERFUL!  He listened to me and my venting of the past 2 1/2 years of dealing with Kayzee and her bowel problems and her not sleeping and then examined her.  Kayzee did really well through it all too.  

He said that she just didn't transition well enough from formula/nursing to real food.  She became constipated all the time and eventually got afraid of pushing through the pain so she just held it all in and she became blocked and she has been blocked for a very long time.  That why she hasn't been sleeping because she has been so uncomfortable and in so much pain.  Putting her on the laxative just made the new stuff she made runny and that just leaked around the blockage and that was why she would be constipated/diarrhea on off every week.  Gross YES sorry! AND THE PEDIATRICIAN WAS WRONG!  You should have seen how mad the specialist got when I told him the dosage the pediatrician told me to give Kayzee and how to wean her off.  The specialist said it just made things worse.  He told me he would call the pediatrician and correct him so he didn't do it to anymore kids.  GREAT!

The specialist then gave her a suppository and gave me a 3 day clean-out procedure schedule, a 10-day maintenance schedule, and a 6 month weaning schedule with a scheduled x-ray on day 4 to make sure the clean-out procedures worked.  

For the 3 day clean-out we had to give her an enema each morning and a laxative in her drink at every meal and an ex-lax chew at bedtime.  The first day nothing really happened.  Day 2 was a Sunday and we knew we didn't want to attempt church not knowing what to expect and I am glad we stayed home.  She cried for 2 hours but finally got the blockage out.  She then had 8-10 poopy diapers the next few days.  And the mineral oil from the enemas would disintegrate her diaper so fast we also went through a lot of clothes and laundry.  It was a very hard few days for everyone. She was such a trooper when we had to give her the enemas though.   

We then went and got her x-ray and sadly we got the call that it didn't get it all out so we had to do the 3-day clean-out procedures all over again!  By day 6 of enemas she would just lay down and give me the look of...just get it over with!  And the 2nd time around Kayzee got really bad diaper rash and she would just cry every time we changed her diaper.  Poor girl.  Now we are on the 10 day-maintance schedule of a laxative morning and night with an ex-lax chew every weekend.  After the 10 days she will just have a laxative every night and an ex-lax chew 3 times a month.  In 3 months we go back to the specialist and he will reevaluate.  If he deems her back to normal then we start a 3 month weaning schedule to get her off the laxative so it doesn't do more harm.  If she is still not back to normal then something else is wrong or something else is causing her problems and we will have to figure that out.  Hopefully it doesn't come to that.  

The best news through all of this is that she is sleeping so much better.  I am so glad that we figured all this out and that I trusted my mommy instinct and sought out a specialist when my pediatrician wouldn't really help.  

We LOVE our sweet Kayzee Lynn so much.

3 comments:

  1. Wow Aleena! I am so glad you figured this out! You are so amazing to have put up with uninterrupted sleep for so long! Did the specialist say what could have helped with the transition so she didn't get so blocked up. What is the name of your GI specialist? He sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What an ordeal! I'm sorry for you all; it just seems so unusual for a child to have problems like this. I hope she the program works and that she can feel healthy and happy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your daughter is super cute! I am glad the specialist was able to help her out. Hooray for a full night of sleep!!!

    ReplyDelete